She wants it all…

6 Jan

I have found that using oils, butters & creams right after a shower/bath, is the most effective method of locking moisture into my dry skin (primarily my legs & feet). Products I have tried & liked include (but are not limited to) shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil, Eucerin moisturizing creme, Equate moisturizing cream, Johnson & Johnson’s baby oil gel, Vaseline cocoa butter vitalizing gel & Africa’s Best Ultimate Herbal Oil. However I cannot use the aforementioned products on my upper body for one of two reasons: A) they’re too darn greasy for normal skin OR B) they just don’t smell good. I have yet to find a lotion/oil/cream that embodies both of the desired attributes. If you feel the same way I do, here is my suggestion to you…

Pour the scented lotion(s) of your choice into a bowl with your favorite oil/ butter/ cream(s). If you’re using a butter or heavy cream, you will need to melt it before adding to the mix. Stir this mixture until blended well.

Once the product is fully incorporated, use a funnel & pour it back into the lotion bottle. You will need a few extra bottles, depending on how many different products you added to the mix.

TIPS:

• Use products that you’ve already tried & know that you like.
  • I mixed this batch last summer (hence the lighter products). Save heavy creams & butters for use during the winter.
  • There’s no exact measurement of product. I just use my arm to test out the level of greasiness during the mixing process. If it’s too greasy I add more lotion & if it’s not greasy enough, I add more oil.
  • If you plan to use more than one scented lotion in your mix, then be sure that the fragrances compliment each other (like coconut & lime, lavender & vanilla or jasmine & rose). Otherwise you’ll end up with a bizarre smelling lotion & that defeats the purpose of your efforts.
  • This method will produce a TON of moisturizer. One batch usually lasts me three months.
  • Sometimes the oil will separate from the lotion after it has been sitting on the shelf for awhile. Just give it a good shake before use.

Have you ever tried this method? What products did you use?

13 Responses to “She wants it all…”

1. MeMe January 6, 2012 at 7:54 am #

I use The Body Shop body butter “Love Etc..” (thats the name),it smells so good that you dont even need perfume..moisturizes and lasts all day! I got it at TJ Maxx on clearance for $4.50! I went to TheBodyShop.com it sells for $18 but on SALE for $12..too expensive…so I WILL be going back to TJMaxx to buy the rest! Lol..

• Sham January 6, 2012 at 8:16 am #

The Body Shop has some awesome products! I might have to try that one MeMe. Thanks for sharing!

• MeMe January 6, 2012 at 8:23 am #

Welcome Girly!!!

2. danielle January 6, 2012 at 8:44 am #

I grew up using only Vaseline. But as I got older, I wanted to try using a lotion, and most leave my skin itching by lunch time. Curel works really well and it smells good. I recently tried a body butter from Bath and Body Works and I am in love!! They are pricey, so I will be on the lookout for sales.

• Sham January 6, 2012 at 11:37 pm #

Hmmm, I haven’t tried Curel yet. Yeah, my mama used to slather the Vaseline too. We were some shiny-faced children on Sunday morning, LOL!

3. Sondra Neely January 6, 2012 at 12:42 pm #

Hey Hair Twin! I recently noticed that my skin was really dry after I shower and it seems like my normal lotion didn’t seem to be doing the trick. After my daily visit to the local Family Dollar on my lunch break I ran across a bottle of vitamin e oil. Well…I was a bit curious. I am really on this big kick about trying new oils to create moisture to my hair so I figured why not try it on my body. Along with purchasing the vitamin e oil I also purchase Almay’s black soap with shea butter(for my face). My initial thought was to add it to some african shea butter and whip it. But instead I put the vitamin e oil in my Suave Natural Oatmeal lotion. What a great combination! I used the Suave natural oatmeal lotion to moisturize my face after I use the almay black soap. This seems to the perfect moisturizer. I have added the vitamin e oil to my Suave Lavender Vanila lotion to use on my body but the natural oatmeal is for my face. I didn’t want to put anything scented on my face since I have really sensitive skin. This is my first time ever stepping outside of the box trying new things and I am loving it. Just an FYI…the Almayblack soap works wonders on my face it’s a keeper also.

4. Michelle@Radiant Brown Beauty January 6, 2012 at 8:22 pm #

Butters and oils are definitely great for locking in moisture to dry skin. Especially now. It was 17 degrees in New York the other day!

If your skin is dry and sensitive, you may want to try more nature based products. The commercial brands have a lot of junk in them. it amazes me how they market their Cocoa Butter and Shea Butter products but they are mixed with so much other stuff.

• Sham January 6, 2012 at 11:30 pm #

You ain’t lying girl. Winter is trying to get the best of me, but I’m on an anti-ash campaign. *POW*

5. M January 6, 2012 at 10:37 pm #

GOOD idea! Since I ran out of lotion ( Body Shop Coconut Body Butter) the other day i started using pure jojoba oil right out of the shower and it has been doing me good! πŸ™‚ I may have to try adding some jojoba to my next batch of body shop lotion. Happy Weekend πŸ™‚

• Sham January 6, 2012 at 11:34 pm #

How does everyone (but me) know about TBS body butters? Lucy! you got some ‘splaining to do! LOL… I’m going to get some of that A.S.A.P.

I hope you have a good weekend as well πŸ™‚

• M January 7, 2012 at 5:53 pm #

Get on board! However I only get it when it’s on sale b/c that junk is expensive! It does a great job though.

6. Jasmine January 7, 2012 at 11:12 am #

i’m going to try this!!!! my daughter has realllly dry skin and so do i. funny though i have oily skin though….my t-zone is always shiny while the rest of me seems to not hold moisture well AT ALL. Thanks Micka!!

7. Roni Lee January 10, 2012 at 7:07 am #

I usually use whatever scented lotion I’m feeling at the moment (bath & body works, Sauve or even the lotion that comes with some of my perfumes) and then mix it with Vaseline…it works great and my skin is moisturized all day.