Hair Update: Roller Set – Straightening

20 Dec

Hey Glams!

I apologize for not posting this last week. I’ve been on the “sick & shut in” list, so all of my energy has been focused towards trying to get well before Christmas. *HUGS*

*       *       *

Roller set-straightening is my go to hairstyle for the colder months. “Straight” is a relative term because this method doesn’t get my hair bone straight. I call em straight because these curls are a lot more relaxed than my natural curl pattern. Also, I regularly alternate shampoos, conditioners & oils, but NEVER my styling products. They are, in my opinion, the HOLY GRAIL of a roller set! I prefer this method of straightening to the blow dry-straightening method because:

1. Blow drying tends to make my hair limp, whereas roller setting creates a lot of body.
  2. Blow drying causes prolific frizz… see for yourself
  3. Roller setting your hair uses less direct heat. You can either sit under a hooded dryer or if time permits, let it air dry.
  4. The end result (large bouncy curls) gives you TONS of style options.

Here’s what I did to my hair last week…

CLEANSE – I washed my hair using Kinky Curly Come Clean. I don’t always shampoo it twice, but Giovanni needed clarification after his 17 day hiatus. During the second wash, I detangled it in small sections using my Tangle Teezer.

ADD PROTEIN – I applied my protein cocktail (Proclaim Olive Glossing Conditioner & ApHogee 2 Step Protien Treatment) to my towel dried hair & sat under the dryer for about 20 minutes. Once the protein hardened, I let it cool off, then I rinsed it out with warm water.

CONDITION – I added 2-3 tablespoons of Wild Growth Hair Oil in with Aussie 3 Minute Miracle & let it sit on my hair for about 20 minutes, then I rinsed with cold water.

SET – I had a few errands to run that day, so I let my hair air dry to 90% before roller setting. I applied TRESemme Heat Tamer Spray, The Body Shop Macadamia Straightening Balm & African Pride Leave-In Conditioner to my hair, section by section. Then I set my hair using combination of 1 1/4″ & 1 3/4″ diameter magnetic rollers. I sat under the dryer until my hair was completely dry. I took the rollers out, put a bonnet on my head & went to sleep.

STYLE – The next morning I added organic extra virgin coconut oil to my hair & flat ironed it section by section at 350°. This method doesn’t straighten my hair completely. I use it primarily to smooth my roots & any frizzy patches. I’m left a combination of large curls & stretched out waves.

Day 1 hair…

Day 2 hair…

NOTES

• These pics were taken in the morning. My hair is ALWAYS curlier in the afternoon & evening. I attribute that to curl memory.
  • To maintain this style throughout the week, I wrapped and/or pineappled it at night. It has lasted for over a week.
  • Day 10 hair… Like I said, I’ve had a fever off & on for the past few days, so now it looks a little fuzzy. The curls in the back are intact, but my front edges look a hot mess. I decided NOT to grace you with my sickly mugshot, so you’ll just hafta take my word for it. I plan to co-wash & reset it, so I can have a fresh do for Christmas.
  • I haven’t done a product review for Wild Growth Hair Oil because I’ve had it for over a year & do not plan to re-purchase it. This 4 ounce bottle cost me $8 @ Sally’s BSS. As far as I can tell, it works no better (or worse) than extra virgin olive oil. I rarely use it because it smells terrible! I mix it with other products to mask the smell. Don’t waste your time or money. EVOO is cheaper & has a lighter (& less offensive) scent.

Have you ever tried this method of straightening?

17 Responses to “Hair Update: Roller Set – Straightening”

1. fabo December 20, 2011 at 12:45 pm #

I have Sham…Since the 10 mth transition I’ve been getting my pressed every 4 -6 wks its so much better due to I still have my baby hair all around my edges of my head…smh….my hair has gotten thicker, fuller, & 3″ longer; I haven’t rolled my hair in 2 mths usually just wrapped it than using heat. Only thing I need to do it more hair washing cause I only wash it maybe 2/3wks but I hate is my edges cause its always frizzy unless I use Cantu Shea Butter Pomade(its magic)….Overall I luv my hair straighten!

• Sham December 20, 2011 at 5:42 pm #

Gul ain’t nothin wrong wit baby edges, LOL! I’m glad you found something that works for you. Are you ready to try some curly styles for summer 2012?

• Sham December 20, 2011 at 5:44 pm #

WAITAMINUTE! What is Cantu shea butter pomade & why have you been hiding it from me?! I thought we were tighter than that… *sheds tear*

2. Kerri December 20, 2011 at 5:31 pm #

Did you apply your leave-in conditioner last or before the heat protector and straightening balm?

• Sham December 20, 2011 at 5:38 pm #

heat protector, straightening balm, then leave-in condish

And I forgot to mention that African Pride Leave-in is very concentrated, so I dilute it in a spray bottle (50/50).

• M December 20, 2011 at 7:14 pm #

So cute as usual! Wish my sets would come out like this.

• Sham December 21, 2011 at 1:58 pm #

@M: C’mon girl… your roller set was very cute!

3. Miche'al December 21, 2011 at 10:51 am #

When I did my roller set, the magnetic kept falling out. How did you get yours to stay put? Also did you find that the flat iron helps with your roots? Your hair looks very lovely.

• Sham December 21, 2011 at 1:52 pm #

Thanks! I use metallic hair clips to secure the rollers to my roots. Yes, flat ironing definitely helps smooth my roots.

4. M December 21, 2011 at 5:06 pm #

Thx Girl!

5. fabo December 21, 2011 at 6:30 pm #

Awwhhh sorry Sham lol….yes I’m so ready can’t wait till I’m 100% natural cause I really want a curly afro for tha summer & a very long ponytail lol….And yes I found it at my local Target under $5,same pomade like Motions but w/o tha mineral oil…. & don’t cry ,dry your eye cause we are tighter than that lol

6. The Colorful Spot December 22, 2011 at 10:08 pm #

Thanks Sham always rocking it! I will have to share this with my sister she has long hair. I’m glad your feel better also, take care,

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Carmella

• Sham December 29, 2011 at 11:20 am #

Thanks Carmella! *hugs*

7. Erinn December 29, 2011 at 1:13 pm #

Hi Sham, I learned of you through Kimberly Richardson and thoroughly enjoy all of your posts. Question – I cannot find the Macadamia Straightening Balm anywhere; do you know if it’s been discontinued? Your natural hair is gorgeous by the way.

• Sham December 29, 2011 at 2:30 pm #

I bought mine on Amazon this past spring/summer. I only use 1 bottle per year, so it takes a minute for me to realize I’m about out.

OMGeeee… It’s out of stock everywhere!!! I saw ONE bottle on ebay. It MUST’VE been discontinued. First Pantene DC Mask & now my Macadamia Straightening Balm, WTH am I gonna do?!?! *BIG FAT TEARS*

• Ingrid January 26, 2012 at 9:14 pm #

I found some bottles of the straightening balm at my local body shop in Dallas. And they were only $6

• Sham January 26, 2012 at 10:05 pm #