Something new: DRY twist out

7 Sep

I painstakingly washed, deep conditioned & roller set my hair on Saturday afternoon & enjoyed this coiffure for only TWO DAYS… 😦 then the rain came & destroyed all my hopes & dreams. Dramatic much?! Yeah, I know… but I need a meteorological break from precipitation & humidity *insert deep sigh* Dear Autumn, please hurry up & get here!!! It’s been awhile since I tried a new do & I had to do something with my frizzy, curly afro. All summer long, CurlyNikki has been raving about the awesomeness of dry twist sets & while I am no pro in the twisting/braiding dept, I decided to throw caution to the wind & grab Giovanni by the horns!

Section by section, I detangled my hair using my fingers & a wide-tooth comb. Then I applied a generous amount of Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk & twisted it. To form the twists, I twirled 2 pieces of hair around my fingers, then twisted those pieces together. I ended up with a total of 18 twists.

I used a bit of the curl & style milk to brush my edges back before tying them down. Then I put my scarf & bonnet on & went to bed, allowing my hair to air-dry while I slept.

This morning I separated the twists & fluffed my hair  to blend the parts…

I was pretty traumatized by my 1st [wet] twist out (we’ll discuss that debacle some other time) & had no intentions of getting back on the horse, but I was pleasantly surprised by the dry twist out. I am a fan of this process for the following reasons:

• dry curls are sooo much easier to wrangle than wet curls
  • it only took me an hour to detangle twist my entire head (instead of 2.5 hours)
  • you can do fewer twists with dry hair, which yields a less “scalpy” finished product, without sacrificing curl definition
  • it’s easier to gauge the proper amount when applying products to dry hair
  • no heat is required to dry your hair in a timely manner

Have you tried a dry twist out? What did you think?

16 Responses to “Something new: DRY twist out”

1. fabo September 7, 2011 at 10:43 pm #

I like this look chic….sumthing different & easy too….what types of hair can you use this style???

2. Constance September 8, 2011 at 8:50 am #

GORGEOUS!! I adore this style–the fullness, the bouncy look to it, the sheen.

3. Kristel V September 8, 2011 at 9:52 am #

Very pretty!!!! I wish I could make my locs look this gorgeous 🙂

4. Alvia September 8, 2011 at 10:37 am #

Very pretty! I do dry twist outs on my 3 year-old daughter’s hair using Some of Marguerite’s Magic (Carol’s Daughter) and they also leave a great shine and help the style last a few days. Especially considering the fact that she refuses to sleep in a scarf or bonnet and her head goes everywhere but the pillow while she’s asleep! It’s expensive but good!

5. Sham September 8, 2011 at 12:24 pm #

Fabo: I imagine a twist out would work for anyone with kinky or curly hair. If you’re still transitioning, you might consider adding rollers/rods to the ends of your twists, to help the relaxed hair curl.

Constance: THX BOO! Blame the sheen on the curl & style milk… that stuff is the BIZNESS!

6. Sham September 8, 2011 at 4:50 pm #

Thanks Kristel V! Sure you can… all it takes is a lil practice & a lotta patience! LOL

Alvia: I’ve heard of Marguerite’s Magic before… $18? Yikes! Only the best for your baby 🙂 But everyone seems to have great things to say about it, so I’m sure it’s a good product. One of the great things about going natural is that I’m getting lots of practice for my (future) children’s hair. I can just imagine trying to convince a 3 yr old to wear a bonnet/scarf… LMBOOOO!

7. Skills September 8, 2011 at 7:40 pm #

And I LOVE your hair!!! It’s gorgeous! Look at those beautiful curls! I am too lazy to do the wet roller set to prep for the dry twist out though!! LOL!! But, I think Nik has also done this by twisting wet hair, letting it dry and then doing a dry twist out. I think I tried that once with lackluster results. But, may have to try it again!

• Sham September 8, 2011 at 10:42 pm #

Thanks Shelli! Isn’t it funny how some of the BEST hairdos are born from failed attempts at something else? My second style is almost always better than my first. SMH… mysteries of the universe!

• Skills September 13, 2011 at 8:17 pm #

I know right? The real pain is when you can’t figure out what you did in order to recreate those fab moments though!!! LOL!!

8. Chey September 17, 2011 at 9:57 pm #

I know I’m super late, but I loves it! My hair does so much better with dry twist outs. Not to mention less shrinkage!! #winning

Oh and I tried to wait until Zya was good and sleep to put on a bonnet, she woke up 5 minutes later took it off and was knocked out again! #losing o_O

• Sham September 20, 2011 at 8:36 am #

Thx Chey!

Zya said “Whatever Mom!” LOL

9. Luciana September 25, 2011 at 9:15 pm #

ok..so I saw your piece on curly nikki and decided to come to your blog to catch more of that beautiful hair and as i was looking through I noticed you are an ASU ALUMNI…so am I cerca ’99…I was excited about that…lol…anyway, love your makeup tutorials and ur hair and u r just gorgeous…showing some ASU LOVE!!!

• Sham September 25, 2011 at 9:26 pm #

Hey Luciana! I’m actually an Auburn grad (c/o 2006), but most of my friends in Montgomery graduated from ASU, so I go to their alumni functions from time to time!

Thanks for stopping by 😉 I appreciate the support!!!

10. Shanna October 8, 2013 at 9:25 pm #

Good evening. I tried this style last night and it was an epic fail. I have permed, heat damaged and natural hair and my ends are bone straight and came loose althought I bobby pinned them down. Do you have any suggestions for getting your results?

• Sham November 9, 2013 at 1:58 pm #

IDK if you already read this post, but while I was still transitioning, my ends were pretty straight. In order to get them to conform to the curlier pattern of my roots, I would roll the ends on a perm rod. Skinny flexi-rods or magnetic rollers will also do the trick. And although saturating your hair can result in shrinkage, dampening your hair will help set the style.

1. FB Flashback: My first twist-out « Sham I am Glam - January 23, 2012

[…] last me 2 days. But y’all encouraged me to get back on the horse & my next twist out was PHENOMENAL! The second attempt was made on dry, stretched out hair, using an appropriate styling product in […]