I just wanted to share a few tips with you after my flexi-rod experiment…
- I have slept in just about every type of roller. These, however are not sleep-able rollers! Having said that, do not plan to set your hair in the evening & then go to bed, while they dry overnight… it ain’t happenin’ sistah!
- My advice is to start early in the day, because it may take a while for you to get the hang of these rollers.
- I know it sounds crazy, but eat a good breakfast before taking this journey! You’ll need your strength for twisting & bending 50-70 flexi-rods, LOL! *NO JOKE!*
- It can be difficult to asses the number of rollers/rods you will need. Carefully consider the length & density of your hair, in comparison to the size of the roller/rod. For example: it requires about 35 rollers 1 inch to roller set my entire head, but when I’m using half-inch rollers it takes 50. This is why I purchased 54 flexi-rods.
- Unless your hair is long ( i.e. past your shoulders), purchase the short rods. I bought all the packs short rods they had @ my local BSS. I ended up having to purchase long ones so that I would have enough rods for my shoulder length hair. If I had bought all short ones, I probably could’ve fit my head underneath my hooded dryer😦
- Consider purchasing a soft-bonnet hair dryer. Or if time permits, let your hair air dry. My dryer wasn’t wide enough, so I felt like I was in a headlock the entire time. I ended up using a hand dryer to do the job.
- Whether or not you “believe” in using rat-tail combs, keep one handy for scratching your scalp. The flexi-rods are practically impenetrable!
- A bonnet will flatten your curls at night, so sleep on a satin pillowcase instead. If you do not already have one GET TUH STEPPIN!!! *in my Martin voice*
In case you were wondering, my flexi-rod set lasted a total of ONE DAY *shedding tears over my frivolous efforts* It rained the whole weekend, so my curls got tighter & tighter until they fell into my natural curl pattern! Darn Giovanni & his resistance to change! Having said that, I have no intentions of repeating this coiffure until summer is over *SIGHS*