Tutorial: Hot curling

13 Jun

After having worn a fresh roller set for a day or two, I usually hot curl my hair. Why? Because the heat from the curling iron helps to press my roots & straighten my hair, without losing my existing curl. To maintain the style overnight, I alternate between wrapping & (dry) rolling my hair.

Tips for heat styling your hair:

1. Deep condition your hair as often as possible so that it is properly moisturized
  2. Do protein treatments (as needed) to strengthen your hair
  3. Seal your ends with oils/butters to lock in moisture
  4. Use a thermal protection spray or serum before applying heat
  5. Ditch alcohol-based spritzes that will dry out your hair!!! Instead, use a setting lotion or wrapping foam on your hair ( while it’s wet)… it will have a similar effect without the excessive dehydration
  6. Use the lowest heat setting necessary to achieve your style. If you hear the curling/flat-iron sizzle & pop when you pass it thru your hair… IT IS TOO HOT! That sound you hear is the water literally boiling out of your hair shaft… NO BUENO!
  7. Limit the use of heat styling tools by using heat-free maintenance to preserve your style. If you wrap or roll your hair at night, you won’t have to re-do it everyday.
  8. Do not curl/flat-iron dirty hair.
  9. Clean your curling/flat-iron after each use… If you have burnt product residue on the surface of your iron, you’re reducing its efficiency & getting old nasty products (or dander) on your clean hair… EWW!

If you have any additional curling/flat-ironing tips, please share them by commenting on this post…

11 Responses to “Tutorial: Hot curling”

1. Faith July 19, 2011 at 8:21 pm #

How exactly is a protein treatment done? What products are used for the treatment?

2. Faith July 19, 2011 at 8:23 pm #

also when your are talking about the natural shine product, you mention that it has cones? What is that?

• Sham July 19, 2011 at 9:00 pm #

Primarily silicone, dimethicone & cyclomethicone. They’re synthetic additives that exist in MANY hair products. They help seal the cuticle & give your hair a shinier appearance, but they can be bad for your hair b/c they block out moisture. They can build up on your hair shaft if you’re using a sulfate-free shampoo. But excessive use of sulfate shampoos can dry out your hair, which is why The Curly Girl method suggests that you eliminate “cones” from your hair regimen.

You gotta read the product label to see what’s in it… the lower an item is on the list, the lower it’s concentration in that product. I try to use cones sparingly. To cleanse, I wash my hair with a diluted shampoo solution bi-weekly & I do co-washes in between, to keep it moisturized.

3. Keisha Felder July 29, 2011 at 5:06 pm #

Love this video, as well as your many others! You have inspired me to roller set my hair at night as well. However, since my hair is a length just passed the bottom of my ear lobes, I shampoo, condition, blow dry & flat iron my hair the first day. Then, the next day, I come back with a curling iron, similar to but smaller than yours, and hot curl it in tight curls. Once its curled with lots of volume from using a smaller barrel hot curler, I section it off, and roller set it at night using the medium sized magnetic rollers. Finally, I do as you do… in the morning, I take the rollers out, wrap my hair for the shower then comb the wrap down. It turned out well. Cant wait till I get more length so that I can roller set it wet without it being so tight & without the frizz, not a cute look with the length of my hair as it is now! See black & white photos of me & the girls. That was a day that I did the aforementioned technique.

• Sham July 29, 2011 at 5:38 pm #

Thanks cousin… I’m glad you’ve found a new routine that works for you!

BTW I loooove those black & white pics! Your hair looks great… you’re gonna let it grow this year?! *GASP* I’m excited 🙂

4. Kamilla December 17, 2011 at 11:08 pm #

How often do you wash your hair or make a style last?

• Sham December 18, 2011 at 2:05 am #

I typically wash it bi-weekly, but it really just depends on how it looks & feels. Sometimes I wash it & start over in 10 days, and sometimes I can stretch it out to 18.

5. Nefretete January 10, 2012 at 9:11 pm #

Hi! I love your roller sets! Quick question: What do you use on your hair to prevent it from reverting? I sweat easily, especially when I work out, and that prevents me from doing too many straight styles on my natural hair. I love curlformers, but if I break a sweat, the curls are all but done for!

• Sham January 19, 2012 at 6:35 am #

The eternal question: How to maintain a style & your lovely physique simultaneously… *DEEP SIGH*

When I did exercise *hangs head in shame* I used to part it down the center & wear 2 side ponytails. It allowed my scalp to breathe, kept my hair outta my face & didn’t disturb the length of the curl.

BTW…Thanks for the reminder! I need to get back on the ball!

1. Hairwashing Day & Silk Remedy Review « Sham I am Glam - July 25, 2011

[…] just used my 1″ diameter, barrel curling iron to straighten/curl my hair all at once (see this video for details about my curling technique). This was the finished […]