Sham I am… FIT?!

26 Sep

*cues Justin Timberlake*

I am pleased to announce that Operation Sexyback is in FULL EFFECT!

I am determined to get (& stay) in shape before the big THREE OH. Although that’s roughly two years away, I figured that now was as good a time as any to get it poppin! What does this mean? Well, for me it means eating more fruits & vegetables, drinking more water, taking vitamin supplements, leaving the Cokes alone *TEARS*AND…(drumroll please)… cardio & strength training!!! Now I know none of this sounds dramatic to you, but for the little black girl with an aversion to sweat & hard work, I can assure you that this is a momentous occasion, LOL! It’s been three weeks since I joined the gym & things got off to a slow start at first, but I am really starting to enjoy the process. I even joined a kickboxing class! :)

I’ve been using Calorie Count to keep track of my progress. They have a free app that you can download to your phone, for on-the-go updates. I’m not gonna lie, the Zaxby’s withdrawal is about to kill me. But since I’ve been replacing my lunchtime Zax Fix with Smart Ones frozen entrées, I am trimming my waistline as well as my budget… WINNING!

Yes, I work out in my makeup (eyes & lips only). Because what’s a Sham without her glam?! I wash my face before & after my workout using Clean & Clear. I have found that wearing my hair in two pigtails or Minnie Mouse buns preserves my curls best. Although, the roots become a little wonky during the week, the length of my hair stays relatively curly.

Did you know that one hour of hairstyling burns about 300 calories?! Apparently we (DIY hairstylists) have been working on our biceps, triceps, deltoids & rotator cuffs one curl at a time! ;)

What are you doing to preserve your sexy and/or get it back?

About these ads

10 Responses to “Sham I am… FIT?!”

1. Sham September 28, 2012 at 1:00 pm #

Oh, and if you want to join me on Calorie Count, my screen name is shamigreen ;)

2. Zoe September 29, 2012 at 2:29 pm #

Shamika, how do you keep your hair straight during work outs? Prevent it from sweating out I mean. Please share your hair regimen while working out. Thanks!

• Sham October 8, 2012 at 6:56 pm #

Well, it doesn’t stay completely straight, but this is my current routine:
      I wear 2 tight pigtails or buns during the workout. After I’ve cooled down I set them free. Before bed I either wrap, roll or pineapple it (as always), depending on how I feel & how it looks.

I’ve noticed that my roots are fuzzier than normal, but that doesn’t bother me that much. In the morning, I apply a bit of pomade to my edges & brush them down. If it still looks wonky, I use a headband, bobby pins or wear it up.

3. Shantae October 4, 2012 at 10:16 pm #

Well hello there, stranger!!

Good to see you, and getting healthy at that *YAY!* I too am on a mission and I learned of Miss JJ Smith on a radio show. Her knowledge may be ‘extreme’ for some–I get that we are all at different levels on this journey–but it’s sound wisdom at it’s best.

ENJOY!
    ~Shantae

• Sham November 15, 2012 at 2:23 pm #

HEY BOO!!! *hugs*

4. Shantae October 4, 2012 at 10:17 pm #

It would help if I provided the link, huh? ROFL! #lawschool-friedbrain

5. Jason October 7, 2012 at 1:00 am #

I am glad you are starting the journey to get into shape. I have been on that journey myself lately. Best of luck to you!

-J2C

• Sham November 15, 2012 at 2:24 pm #

Thanks Jason!

6. morningsongsandbedtimeprayers October 8, 2012 at 1:35 pm #

Hey Sham! Funny I too am doing a weightloss regime before my big day in two years! I am doing fitness pal and Zumba! Water veggies ugh! However a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do! What exercises are u doing at the gym?

• Sham November 15, 2012 at 2:33 pm #

Sorry I forgot to respond. Charge it to my head & not my heart. I usually start my workout with a mile or 2 on the treadmill, to get my heart rate up. Then I work the machines in a circuit for 2-3 reps, so I can hit all the muscle groups. Then I do side sit-ups w/ a 5 lb medicine ball & back extensions. Hmmm *bites lip* I think that’s it. What about you?