FOTD: Mystique

9 Jan

If you’re not familiar with the X-Men comic book series, this look may not make sense to you, but because I enjoy exposing you to awesome things… I’d like to introduce you to Mystique (or Raven Darkhölme), the infamous shape-shifter of the X-Men franchise. Like most of my FOTDs, this was meant to be my interpretation of her overall look. Mystique’s mutation enables her body’s cells to morph at will. She impersonates other people from their hair, to their clothes, to the sound of their voice. They say a pic is worth a thousand words, so this is what she looks like in her natural form. If you haven’t seen them already, I HIGHLY recommend that you check out the X-Men movies. In addition to being entertaining, they’re also socially relevant; dealing with topics such as political unrest, patriotism, discrimination, diversity, terrorism, anti-semitism, loyalty & honor. Enough of that, let’s talk makeup…

PRIMER: NYX HD e/s base

BASE: NYX Jumbo Pencil in Milk

SHADOW: I applied matte navy blue e/s, from the WNW Pride palette, to the inner & outer corners of my lower eyelid. Then I used a frosty, lime green e/s to cover the center of my lower eyelid. I used matte peach e/s (WNW Greed palette) to highlight my brow bone area. For a pop of color, I used my pencil brush to apply NYX Ultra Pearl Mania e/s in Jade under my lower lashes.

OTHER DETAILS… I used CoverGirl single e/s in Smolder to define my eyebrows & L’Oreal Collagen Mascara in Blackest Black on my eyelashes. I defined my upper lashline & waterline using Wet N Wild cream liner in black.

CHEEKS: Ulta single e/s in “Sparks” on the hollows of my cheeks & Black Radiance sheer finish blush in Soft Honey on the apples.

LIPS: Lancome Color Design lipstick in Trendy Mauve + CO Bigelow lip gloss in Magenta Mint

FACE: Estee Lauder pressed powder in Deep (05)

Stay tuned for a video tutorial of this look…

About these ads

22 Responses to “FOTD: Mystique”

1. M January 9, 2012 at 4:03 pm #

Cute!

2. Sondra Neely January 9, 2012 at 5:31 pm #

OMG! That rocks! Imma have to try it. I am a huge X-Men fan and my favorite color is green. I always wanted to try green but didn’t know how to use it. Well now I do. Imma have to go and get those colors. I simply love your FOTD, they give me motivation to go outside the box. Thanks GURL! Keep em coming!

3. Skills January 9, 2012 at 10:57 pm #

I knew that I liked you. ;)

Okay, but the third movie was whack. And don’t get me started on Wolverine Origins … Grrrrr Arrgghh!!

But, the second X-Men movie was the comic adaptation that I’d waited for since college.

Oh yeah, make-up! Gorg as usual!!

4. Roni Lee January 10, 2012 at 7:03 am #

I love this one! The color combo is fab…can’t wait to see the tutorial! =)

5. Sham January 11, 2012 at 6:44 pm #

Thanks ladies!

@Shelli: I am OBSESSED w/ Wolverine, well… Hugh Jackman, LOL! So I enjoyed the Origins movie, but First Class was my favorite. My main gripe about the movie series is that they don’t stick to the established facts from the comic book.

• Skills January 11, 2012 at 8:01 pm #

Wolverine and Batman are my two favorite super heroes … when they finally made X-Men … I was super excited as I’d been a fan of the comics and cartoon series since the late 80s. Wolverine was my introduction to X-Men. I thought Hugh Jackman was great in the first movie … in the second? AWESOMETASTIC!! The third movie was whack and Origins is so frickin’ horrible, I can’t … I just can’t. Like seriously, he beats NO ONE!! The hero of your movie beats NO ONE!! Pathetic. And every fight scene with Sabretooth was the same … as you said, they didn’t stick with established facts … but I can accept revisionist storytelling … shoot, Marvel and DC do it all of the time. I can’t stand STUPID storytelling. Oh girl … I’ll go on a rant about comic book movies. So, let me stop! But, again, knew that I liked you;)!!

Oh, wait, one thing … gotta ask. Have you ever seen Count of Monte Cristo?

• Sham January 13, 2012 at 6:58 am #

LOL @ “awesometastic!!” *adding that to my lexicon*

I LOVE the Batman animated series on cartoon network. It has the most consistent storyline. I remember liking Tim Burton’s Batman movies growing up. Michael Keaton was a great Batman. Val Kilmer… not so much. I really like Christopher Nolen’s Batman movies… ESPECIALLY Dark Knight! While Christian Bale is pretty sexy, he’s not a believable Batman to me. Maybe the negative publicity ruined my perception of him. Did you hear that he beat out Jake Gyllenhaal for the original part? I would have LOVED to see Jake as Batman. *SIGHS* Anyway, I’m looking forward to the 3rd installment this summer!

You talkin bout the newer one w/ Jim Caviezel? No, I haven’t seen it yet. Is it good? I might hafta RedBox it. For some strange reason it’s not available to watch instantly on Netflix.

6. fabo January 11, 2012 at 8:12 pm #

Gotta luv Blues & Greens lol always good for any skin completion…..Can’t wait for tutorial :)

7. Quisha January 12, 2012 at 1:16 pm #

I loooooove this look. Very cute. I’m still getting comfortable with blues and greens. I love your FOTD’s. I use them as guides.

• Sham January 13, 2012 at 7:00 am #

Thanks Fabo & Quisha! I’m uploading the video today :)

8. Skills January 13, 2012 at 6:21 pm #

Wait, which one do you mean on CN? Batman Brave and the Bold? Yeah, that’s really good too. But, nothing touches the series from the 90s (Batman: The Animated Series).

As to Bale … I so agree with you … but Jake Gyllenhal?!?!? OMGosh girl … please … NO!! LOL!! No, he is NOT Bruce. The reason I brought up The Count of Monte Cristo is because Jim Caviezel IS Batman in that movie:). Oh yes, you have to definitely check it out. I don’t own many movies on DVD … I go to the theatre, I don’t watch movies at home. I have Count on DVD. I loan it out to my Batman loving friends and tell them, “Tell me he isn’t Batman.” LOL!

And you are right, Michael Keaton was a GREAT Batman! I didn’t expect it, but when I saw the first movie … I was SOLD!! I refuse to see 3 or 4 … never have, most likely never will … unless my friends finally manage to convince me so that I can share their pain. They just want me to watch it so that I can commiserate with them over how bad they were on so many levels.

Oh, and as to AWESOMETASTIC! Go right ahead, I did! Guess who I got it from?? Jamyla of Oyin! LOL!! She’s into cartoons and comics too:)! We’re going to make it the new “IT” word;).

• Sham January 16, 2012 at 8:23 am #

The one I liked was Batman: The Animated Series. Waitaminute! Do you remember the Batman show from the 1960s? During the fight scenes it would always say “Kapow!” or “Bam!”… LOL!

You don’t like Jake G? Too fresh-faced? I was thinking he’d make a good younger Batman. I have seen several Jim Caviezel movies, he would make a wonderful Batman.

9. Jasmine January 13, 2012 at 6:55 pm #

i love this!! give me the tutorial woman!!! i want to try this!!!

10. Miche'al January 15, 2012 at 8:10 pm #

First of I must say on a sidebar, I am so loving the converstion of all the superheros. I thought for sure I was the only black women in the world who really enjoys all the comics and superheros, but to find two very, very rare. Now Michael Keaton, with his lips, was my all time favorite batman, everyone else, ehh! I have to say I really like all the X-Men. Wolverine Orgins I liked because it gave us history on where Wolverine came from. Hey Shelli, you should have really started a blog on this topic, not hair. LOL Just kidding. Anyhoo, Sham I really love your make-up ideas. I am trying to get my skills up and try to attempt more. Thanks for sharing!

• Sham January 16, 2012 at 9:21 am #

YES! Nerds unite… LOL!

• Skills January 18, 2012 at 8:29 pm #

Wonder Twin … I mean Triplet … Powers activate!! LOL!! Ok, they don’t show Bats:TAS on cartoon ntwk here, it’s on The Hub in NJ:). Yeah, Jake is too young and he & Tobey McGuire have a similar look. So, ya know, he’s more Peter Parker;). Oh Miche’al, when I get to a real computer, will have to tell you the 100 ways Origins was so bad! LOL!

• Sham January 18, 2012 at 8:45 pm #

I cannot wait to hear the Origins exposé! *ON PINS & NEEDLES*

11. Skills January 22, 2012 at 8:24 pm #

Ooops, I forgot to come back for the re-cap:

Okay, 10 Reasons Why Wolverine Origins Is So Bad:

1. Wolverine was a Berserker. He had uncontrollable rage when Professor X found him. His character isn’t angry at all in this movie … he just warns people not to make him angry. Like seriously, he did a David Banner line, “Don’t make me angry … you wouldn’t like me when I’m angry.” No … see, Wolverine isn’t going to warn you … he’s just gonna tear that a@#$ up!

2. Sabretooth is Wolverine’s BROTHER?!?! Are you kidding me?!? You make his arch nemesis his brother?! That’s just like the stupid 3rd X-Men making Juggernaut a lackey of Magneto’s with no relationship to his arch nemesis, his step-brother Charles Xavier, at all!

3. Speaking of Sabretooth … so this movie is supposed to be the same continuity as the X-Men movies, right? So, Sabretooth was Magneto’s lackey in X1 and he and Wolvie didn’t seem to know each other at all.

4. How many times are Wolvie and Sabretooth going to do the same choreographed fight?!?! Okay, let’s crouch, run at each other top speed and then slam into each other spinning in a circle.

5. Why would you use overtly CGI claws in a scene where Wolverine is doing nothing but standing in a bathroom looking at himself in a mirror and unsheathing his claws? Horrendous! In fact, the effects overall were an embarrassment.

6. What the frick was the point of Gambit being in this movie? Also, why did he turn on Wolverine one minute and then become his friend the next? That whole scene made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

7. Deadpool was entertaining, as he should be, at the beginning of the movie. You cast Ryan Reynolds and his snarky self for that very reason, I would assume (Oh, don’t get me wrong, I like Ryan … I’ve liked him ever since 2 Guys a Girl and a Pizza Place). Yet, at the end, he becomes Stryker’s skin puppet … who has his MOUTH SEWN SHUT?!?! Are you kidding me?

8. Oh, and speaking of Deadpool, how can he bend his elbows if those swords he unsheathed are the length of his arms?

9. The Emma Frost and her recently “acquired” diamond shape-morphing powers??! Why is she even in the movie?! And, if you must use her, why wouldn’t you capitalize on her telepathic abilities, which rival Charles, rather than this stupid new secondary power. And speaking of useless cameos … what about Scott Summers/Cyclops??!?! Ughhh!!

10. Finally, and most unforgivable in my opinion, the movie is about Wolverine … that’s your hero. Yet, at the end, my HERO beats none of his antagonists. Sabretooth, who he’s been fighting since the first 5 minutes of the film, kills his other last minute addition nemesis, Deadpool, and then skips away. Stryker shoots our hero in the head, then kills his lover, but not before SHE tells his arch nemesis to take a walk … a long walk. Really?! This is how the movie ends? My hero loses to EVERYBODY and is only saved by his arch nemesis and his dead girl … oh, and she doesn’t even do away with his other enemy … she just tells him to take a long walk on an island. Does that mean he’s going to walk over the edge or just walk until he has some really KILLER bunions?

Okay, rant over;)!! I really need to be working on my posts for tomorrow!! LMBO!!

• Sham January 23, 2012 at 8:23 am #

This list was SO worth the wait! My thoughts:
      - You’re right about Wolvie’s persona, he is angry & confrontational. I was hoping this movie would show us how he got that way, but it didn’t do that. By their storyline, he doesn’t remember any of this, which begs the question, where does his aggression come from???
      - The samurai swords being longer than Deadpool’s arms… LOL! A MESS! They definitely insulted our intelligence on that one.
      - No one in their right mind would agree to have their mouth sewn shut. Wouldn’t that make him a weaker opponent? When you exercise they tell you to inhale thru your nose & exhale thru your mouth. And how does he eat… thru an IV?
      - Gambit was random as hell & he DID NOT sound Cajun, at all.
      - I don’t like ANY of the fabricated family relationships, or that previously established family relationships aren’t recognized, such as Mystique being Nightcrawler’s mother. In X2 Mystique acted like she didn’t even know him… UGH!!!
      - And did you notice that the Sabretooth on the 1st X-Men movie looked NOTHING like Liev Shrieber? He was extremely hairy & more animalistic.

They should consult us before they make the next one, LOL!

• Skills January 23, 2012 at 10:43 am #

You need to friend me on FB so that you can see 11-20 added by my sci-fi/comics buddies! I shared your post on my page! The additions? Hilarious!

And they seriously need to consult the real fans. I am ways do insulted when critics say these are only movies fans would like. NO!!! No they are NOT! Why don’t people understand that the fans of the genre are the harshest critics!?? Ugh! Lol!

12. Skills January 23, 2012 at 10:48 am #

“so” insulted and “movies only fans would like.”

1. Tutorial: Mystique FOTD « Sham I am Glam - January 21, 2012

[...] here to read the [...]