Something new: The banana clip

29 Nov

Last night before bed, I pineappled my 1 day old (dry) flexi-rod set & tied a scarf around my edges. This morning I awoke to wavy, un-curled edges. ARGH! When will I ever learn?! I was gonna throw it into a curly puff when I remembered that I had an unused pack of banana clips. I bought em from the dollar store last summer, hence the patriotic colors, LOL! I wasn’t confident that a they could securely hold fine hair, but after watching a few of Shelli’s tutorials, I felt inspired to give it a try.

First I brushed my hair back into a taut ponytail. Then I brushed back my edges using EcoStyler Olive Oil Gel & water & tied it down with a scarf. After my hair was dry, I removed the elastic band, untied the scarf & positioned the banana clip (horizontally) at the crown of my head. I fluffed my puff & ran off to work. These pics were taken after work (hence the flyaways) but you get the picture :)

Giovanni’s not quite long for any elaborate up-dos, but it was fun to try something new! I plan to purchase a few more banana clips in colors that are easier to camouflage.

About these ads

10 Responses to “Something new: The banana clip”

1. Skills November 29, 2011 at 8:13 pm #

Ca-aa-yute!! Yeah for banana clips:)! You should sooo try the curly faux hawk by positioning the banana clip high (like a couple inches back from your forehead, with the curve over your crown. I know with your curls and fab make-up, you’d be totally fierce:)!!

• Sham December 14, 2011 at 11:14 am #

I’m definitely gonna try that Shelli! Thanks for your curl-spiration ;)

2. Miche'al December 2, 2011 at 7:48 am #

Giovanni might not be long enought but still looks great!! I agree with Skills, with your length you can pull off a faux hawk for sure!! Love the make-up!!

• Sham December 14, 2011 at 11:16 am #

Thanks Miche’al!

3. Brandee December 12, 2011 at 7:33 pm #

I think I just found my new hair idol :) Your hair is beautiful! I have SERIOUS problems with my edges but I have never used gel because when my sister used it it was always disgusting looking and hard and just ugghhh! Anywhooo does the Eco Styler Gel leave your hair..excuse me, Giovanni, feeling hard and crunchy?? Thanks!

• Sham December 14, 2011 at 11:31 am #

Thanks Brandee! It NEVER leaves him crunchy or flaky. I think the key to hair gel is to use it in moderation. First I wet my hands with water, then I scoop out a nickel-sized blob of gel. I whip it in my hands before I smooth my edges. The water thins it out some, but you can always add more if needed.

4. fabo December 20, 2011 at 1:04 pm #

Wow…..your hair is so big & pretty in a ponytail…..I wish I cud get my hair to act right with my banana clips :(……

5. M December 23, 2011 at 11:16 pm #

so cute!

1. FOTD: Rockstar « Sham I am Glam - February 9, 2012

[...] looked a ham this particular morning, so I thought it would be a great opportunity to test out the banana clip faux-hawk. No gel on the sides this time, just a little Mane-N-Tail Leave-In conditioner before [...]

2. FOTD: Turquoise Pearl « Sham I am Glam - September 14, 2012

[...] I know they look more like coils, but this is a four day old flexi-rod set. For some reason my curls tend to get tighter over time, instead of staying the same diameter as the original rod. Anyway, my edges were fuzzy, so I brushed & smoothed em using Ecostyler Olive Oil gel. Then I secured it with a banana clip. [...]