TAKE 2: Dry Flexi-rod set

18 Nov

I was discouraged when my first flexi-rod set lasted ONE DAY. But I vowed to try it again once the weather was cooler. *Slick Rick voice* Heeeere we go…

In my usual fashion, I washed, DC’ed & roller set my hair last weekend. Due to rainy weather conditions, Giovanni became undefined & fro-ish by day 4. I was admittedly heavy-handed with the Vitamin E oil during my original roller set, so this time I dry set it (no product added). I divided it into about 11 sections, then I detangled each section & wrapped it around an 11/16 flexi-rod. After that, I put my scarf on & went to bed. BTW, these soft flexible rollers are much more comfortable to sleep on than the hard magnetic ones!

The next morning I removed the rods & separated my curls by finger twirling the hair. This method creates Shirley Temple-esque ringlets. It only took me about 20 minutes to style my hair that morning & about 15 to detangle & set my hair (the night before). PIECE-O-CAKE!

My results:

That night I pineappled & tied a scarf around my hair. The next morning I fluffed it out & discovered that my right side was almost completely straight. *MacGuyver mode* I applied some Motions pomade, brushed it back & bobby-pinned it. I’m just glad that there was Day 2 hair this time…

Last night I dry twisted my curls & tied a scarf around my head. I’m still in bed right now, so I have no idea how that turned out. But I’ll keep you posted ;)

About these ads

17 Responses to “TAKE 2: Dry Flexi-rod set”

1. Skills November 20, 2011 at 5:44 pm #

I’m under the dryer with 8 twists right now. But, I’m hoping to try a dry flexi set on Wednesday night, inspired by you:)!! I didn’t have enough flexis for a full head set, so I picked up 2 more bags today (the purple ones; hope that’s enough). I’m going to need to spritz with something to get a set though. So, we’ll see how that goes!

• Sham November 21, 2011 at 9:35 pm #

YAAAY! How’d it turn out?

• Skills November 28, 2011 at 12:01 am #

I thought that I posted a reply to this! Yeah, the dry flexi set never happened. I ended up doing those braided styles instead:).

2. Daryll Marie December 14, 2011 at 8:40 pm #

So you only had to use 11 flexirods??? I keep seeing ppl using 40, 50, even 76 rods…..and it’s unbelievable! 11 is really more my speed.

• Sham December 14, 2011 at 10:48 pm #

I only had to use 11 because I was setting dry hair. My wet hair took about 60.

3. Daryll Marie December 15, 2011 at 4:09 pm #

Do you think that would work if I let it air dry in a bun for a couple of days, and THEN dry set it? Or should I just bite the bullet and wet set on a million rollers THEN dry set lol?? Sorry, I just need this style. It’s gorgeous.

• Sham December 18, 2011 at 9:56 am #

Hmmm… It might work on bunned hair, but you’d probably have to add some sort of leave-in for the curls to hold. Unless you put product in your hair prior to bunning. I didn’t add any to my hair because my primary style was a regular roller set & I already used plenty of product for that.

I say GO FOR IT! And please lemmie me know how it works for you.

• Daryll Marie December 26, 2011 at 9:11 am #

Merry Day after Christmas!

So what I ended up doing was putting my hair in twists (after washing, conditioning, and sealing with coconut oil, etc) and then bunning them….and I’ll admit I left it in twists for a few days. After i took the twists out, I sprayed my hair with water/conditioner mixture (lightly) and put a dab of Curls pomade on each piece before rolling it onto a total of 12-15 flexi rods. I also discovered that my faux denman made the whole process very smoooooooth.

I wore it for Christmas…and I LOVED IT. Because of the twists, it was very stretched, so after the flexirods it was very bouncy, long, and flowy!

• Sham December 29, 2011 at 10:57 am #

SO DESCRIPTIVE! I’m fantasizing about your bouncy, flowy, stretched out curls, LOL! That’s awesome… I bet everybody was jocking your wig at Christmas dinner.

• Daryll Marie September 3, 2012 at 3:02 pm #

I’m mad late, but girl yes!! I’m wearing a head full of rods as I type. I wanted to try it again, I have been doing alot of wash and goes and bunning. I wanted the bounce back, soooo I traveled back to your blog and Voila!

4. Sondra Neely January 9, 2012 at 5:52 pm #

Ok, so I tried the flexi rods all by myself after paying to have them done. Cute but….When I paid to have them done she used like 50 to 70 flexirods which took like forever but the curls did last a week. They started to frizz by the end of the week so I knew it was time to do something different. I decided to start fresh with a clean head and rock my natural hair with a band on saturday. Too cute with my new color. Oh and I colored my hair (Cherrywood and honey blonde).(Thanks Sham!) Sunday I stepped out on faith and re-wet my hair with water added Knot Today leave in conditioner, Biosilk, Lottobody and Eco Style olive oil gel. I parted my hair in 4 sections and got to rolling. I used the orage and the pink flexi rods from which I only used about maybe 24-30. Sat under the hair dryer for 1 hr put my satin bonnet on and went to sleep. I will never sleep in those things again. Got up had perfect curls! Since it was raining I decided not to seperate the curls until I got to work. What a task! By the time I finished I looked like Audrey Givings off of What’s Happening! You know the little girl who sung with her brothers on the Gong Show. LOL! By the way I got to meet her as an adult and she still looks the same. I’m not complaining but I love the curls it’s just time consuming. I accidentally made a part in the middle that I didn’t need so I had to work a head band and make a curly afro puff. I love the flexirods and will be wearing this style until my bangs grow back. Long story, will have to explain later. But this style gets an A+ from me. Let’s see how long this style will last. It’s raining here in Dallas.

• Sham January 9, 2012 at 6:54 pm #

THAT’S GREAT!!! I’m glad they worked for you :)

5. tylonda rivers April 8, 2012 at 5:44 pm #

Hi, I’m Tee. I have been natural for a couple of years now and I’m tired of the same hair styles. Do you have any suggestions? And your make up is awesome.

6. Chundra August 31, 2012 at 11:15 am #

I recently tumbled across your website and love love your hair. I am attempting to transition from relaxed hair to natural but I’m having a really hard time. For the last 5 months, I have been relaxed free. Three of those months, I wore micro braids and when I took them down my hair was a tangled mess. it took me hours and multiple conditioners trying to untangle and the only solution I thought of at that time was to apply perm. So I transition back to relaxed hair only to now have some relaxed hair and most of it in its natural state because it did not take at all.

After all that, I am starting my natural journey over without the big chop. What products do your recommend I use and any recommendation on transitioning without the big chop while keeping my big fluffy hair styles? Also, how often did you cut your ends to get rid of the permed hair? I have always had a “good” grade of hair that is very thick much like yours and grows fast. Any suggestions would be highly accepted!

Hair Crave:-)

7. Pamela March 8, 2013 at 9:59 pm #

I love your hair. I’m transitioning from texlaxed to natural and I can’t wait to try this style and all the other styles you’ve posted. Thank you for sharing.

8. Stephanie May 28, 2013 at 5:45 pm #

Ok so I’m really new to styling natural hair but I’ve been natural for 2 1/2 years. Tonight I am going to wash and deep condition my hair, to achieve this look should I roll it wet an sit under the dryer or air dry. Also I prefer to do it tomorrow so it will be fresh, so if I twist my hair tonight to avoid blowdrying, once it’s dry what should I apply to it?

1. Dry flexi-rod finale « Sham I am Glam - November 30, 2011